There are always some great updates coming down the pike from Google! We won’t be detailing ever single one but we will give you some new updates that are applicable to the every day user on the EDU edition here at Meredith.
To get all the updates, head over to the Google Workspace Updates blog page. You can also find a Subscribe by Email link in the sidebar to get the updates right to your inbox.
Before June 28, 2021
Since we’ve just started with updates, these are some of the new and helpful.
More information in Contacts – (may take until Jul 8th to see this change) Contacts will now have more information to keep in contact with your colleagues. You can now see
- Their management chain, department, and title,
- A history of your Workspace relationship, including email conversations and meetings.
Chat replacing Hangouts – If you have used the chatting feature before, that was Hangouts. An updated app named Chat is now out to all customers and will soon completely replace Hangouts.
Checklists in Docs – Now have a button to add a checklist next to the bulleted list button. When item is checked off, it will have a strike through the text.
@ mentions in Docs – Use the @ symbol to tag users, add a date, or add quick links to Docs, Slides, or Sheets. If the tagged user does not already have access to the Doc, you will be prompted to share with them.
Tagged users will have a profile box appear on hover with contact options such as email, message, or video call.
An added date will give you a quick link to book a meeting in the calendar.
New colored folder options in Drive – Color coding folders was previously just for regular Drive folders. You can now add colors to folders in Shared Drives and shortcut folders.
Improved hand raising in Meet –
- An updated and improved visual icon and animation on the video tile
- The tiles of people with raised hands may be moved to be more visible in the video grid
- An audio notification for all participants when the first raised hand is raised
- A clickable notification which shows the number of raised hands and which links to an ordered queue of all participants with raised hands
- That a participant’s hand will be automatically lowered after they speak